In this article, we look at banks in Houston Texas with free checking. If you desire to maximize your savings and cut out unnecessary charges while you are saving your money, then this is the article for you.
All these banks provide you with superb services when you open your free checking account.
List of Banks in Houston Texas with Free Checking
Without wasting much time, below is the list of 15 banks in Houston Texas with free checking. I have listed their individual features which will allow you to compare and contrast to decide which of them is best for you.
The Frost Personal Account, Frost Plus Account, and Frost Premium Account are the three different kinds of personal checking accounts that Frost Bank offers.
If you meet any one of the following requirements, you are eligible for a Frost Personal Account with no monthly service fee: direct deposit of $100 or more per month; maintaining a minimum daily balance of $1,000; maintaining a combined average daily balance in personal accounts of $5,000; or having an account owner who is under 25.
The Frost Personal Account also comes with perks like a $100 overdraft grace, access to direct transfers up to two days sooner, 24/7 mobile banking, and some of the finest interest rates in the business.
Recommended: 10 Music Production Schools In Houston: Best Picks
Amegy Bank provides a variety of personal checking accounts with various features and advantages. If you meet certain criteria, some of them have no monthly maintenance cost or paper statement fee. The following are some of your alternatives to think about:
The most popular checking account, Anytime Checking, offers both online and offline banking services, including Zelle, Bill Pay, Mobile Banking, and unlimited withdrawals from Amegy Bank ATMs.
If you have at least 10 debit or credit card transactions each month, $250 or more in total monthly direct deposits, or if the principal account owner is 25 years of age or younger, you can avoid paying the $6 monthly maintenance fee. If you sign up for eStatements, you can also avoid the $2 price for paper statements.
Anytime Interest Checking: This type of checking account gives you access to online banking resources as well as the ability to earn interest on your account balance. Additionally, you are entitled to a monthly fee waiver and discounts on check orders.
If you maintain a minimum daily balance of $1,500 or more, or a combined minimum daily balance of $10,000 or more in linked savings, money market, CD, and IRA accounts, you can avoid the $10 monthly maintenance fee.
Premium Interest Checking: This type of checking account offers premium rates on linked CD, savings, and money market balances in addition to interest on checking balances. Additionally, you receive overdraft transfers, ATM fee refunds and waivers, no monthly service charges on savings and money market accounts.
If you maintain a minimum daily balance of $15,000 or more, or a combined minimum daily balance of $25,000 or more in linked savings, money market, CD, and IRA accounts, you can avoid the $20 monthly maintenance fee.
Recommended: 15 Top Culinary Schools in Houston: Top Requirements
Houston Federal Credit Union
Their free Checking account is brimming with practical tools to make managing and saving money easier:
- Free monthly service fee
- Free Online Statements & Bill Pay
- Free 24/7 Online & Mobile Banking
- Free ATM Access Globally
- HFCU Card Alerts for FREE
- No per check fees
- No Minimum Balance Overdraft Protection Options
Bank of Texas
When you sign up for online statements, Bank of Texas’ Access Checking account has no monthly service charge. In addition, this account offers limitless transactions, free use of more than 32,000 ATMs nationwide, a complimentary Visa debit card, and other benefits.
Recommended: 20 Autism Schools in Houston: The Complete Guide
Memorial Credit Union
Direct Deposit is not necessary with this account, and there is no monthly cost. Members who require a cost-effective checking account should choose this account. Among its attributes are:
- No minimum balances required
- $5 to Open
- Online check copies and free eStatements are available.
- No ongoing charges
- On your personal checking account, get free MasterCard Debit Overdraft Protection.
Because their FREE MCU debit card may be used at any point-of-sale machine and ATM globally, it’s simple to access your account whenever you choose day or night.
Smart Financial Credit Union
The Smart Financial Credit Union provides the Smart Choice and Smart Premier checking accounts. Both accounts offer free digital banking, monthly e-statements, mobile deposits, order checks, and debit card services in addition to an EMV Chip Debit Mastercard.
The $10 monthly service fee for the Smart Choice account is eliminated if one of the following conditions is met: you must be 65 years of age or older, have a monthly recurring direct deposit of $500 or more, or you must do at least 20 point of sale (POS) debit card transactions each month.
The $15 monthly service charge for the Smart Premier account is eliminated if you keep your monthly average loan and account balances at $15,000 or above. Higher dividends, overdraft protection from savings and a line of credit, free ATM access up to $10 per month, and free money orders and cashier’s checks are additional benefits of this account.
First Service Credit Union
The Houston-based First Service Credit Union provides a range of loans and accounts, including a free checking account with debit rewards.
Every time you make a purchase with your Visa debit card through this account, you can accrue points that can later be redeemed for cash credits. Additionally, eStatements have no minimum balance requirement and no monthly service fee1.
- The following are some elements of this account
- No recurring charges or minimum balance
- Receive a free Visa debit card by earning points.
- No cost eStatements
- Overdraft defense and courtesy compensation
- Federally insured up to $250,000.00
Greater Texas Credit Union
Here are some of the main advantages and features of this account:
- When you use direct deposit, you can receive your payment up to two days early.
- You pay $0 monthly fee and $0 minimum balance.
- For balances exceeding $1,250, you can earn up to 0.05% APY.
- You can get started with as little as a $25 opening deposit.
- You can benefit from unlimited check writing, countrywide access, overdraft protection, online and mobile banking, free use of non-GTFCU ATMs, and more.
Texas First Bank
Kasasa Cash and Kasasa Cash Back are two checking account kinds that don’t charge a monthly service fee or have a minimum balance requirement. These accounts also provide benefits including lucrative interest rates, cash back on purchases, and reimbursements for local ATM withdrawal fees across the country.
You must, however, fulfill certain requirements each month in order to qualify for these benefits, such as making a minimum number of debit card purchases, signing up for e-statements, and completing at least one direct deposit or ACH payment activity.
Another choice is InControl Checking, which has a $4 monthly cost that is refundable if you carry out one of the following actions in your account during a qualifying month: get e-statements or have at least 8 debit card purchases post and settle. You can receive paper statements from this account if you’d prefer, and you can make as many checks as you’d like.
Each of these checking accounts includes a complimentary Visa debit card, free bill payment online, free mobile banking with mobile deposit, and support for direct deposit.
Texas Bay Credit Union
Some of this account’s key characteristics and advantages are listed below:
- With just a $501 opening deposit, you can get a personal checking account at Texas Bay Credit Union.
- Perks Checking, Premium Perks Checking, and Simply Checking are the three options available to you. Cash back, identity theft protection, and travel savings are just a few of the benefits and advantages that come with each account.
- With online and mobile banking, eStatements, bill payment, and mobile check deposit, you have access to your account whenever and wherever you are.
- With direct deposit, you can receive your paycheck up to two days early.
- Wallet apps like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay all let you use your debit card.
- No per-check fees, courtesy pay overdraft protection, and account insurance up to $500,000 are all available to you.
- Over 55,000 surcharge-free ATMs are available to you nationwide.
- If you are an entrepreneur or small business owner, Texas Bay Credit Union also offers free business checking accounts. This account provides 1,000 free transaction items per month, free currency deposits up to $10,000 per month, and tools for budgeting and fraud prevention.
Other banks in Houston Texas with free checking include:
- WaFd Bank
- Wells Fargo
- Chase Bank
- Bank of America
- BBVA USA
What are good banks in Houston?
JPMorgan Chase, one of the most well-known banks in the area, has more than 200 locations there and is renowned for offering a wide range of financial services.
Wells Fargo, another top bank in Houston, has been offering banking services to citizens of the city since 1905.
What banks are popular in Texas?
The bank with the most locations in Texas is Wells Fargo. It has hundreds of sites (640 branches and 1,200 ATMs, to be exact!) that serve every major region of the state.
Following Wells Fargo as additional significant banks in Texas are Chase Bank (533 offices) and Bank of America (357 locations).