Maine is a state in the New England region of the United States. If you are looking for the best places to live in Maine for young adults, Maine has some areas known for their natural beauty, outdoor activities, and lobster.
There are many young adults who desire to live away from their parents and start a new life.
Factors to Be Considered
But, before deciding where to live, there are some factors to be considered.
1. The environment must appeal to you. If you’re a nature lover, your environment must consist of natural things, like green space, bodies of water, museums, and farms.
2. Weather is a crucial factor in deciding where to live. Some may want to live in a sunny environment, while some prefer to live in an environment with a snowy climate.
3. Walkability: This is the ability to have access to important places within walkable distance. These places could be, a post office, schools, local shops, and restaurants. They should all be within a walkable distance for easy access by the residents.
4. Affordability: Before deciding to live in a place, you must find out about the house prices, local tax types, and rates, because they all add significantly to yearly expenses.
5. Culture and Entertainment: If you’re the type that loves the art of history, then you should be on the lookout for a location with historic sites, art galleries, and theaters. Choose a location with easy access to these places.
Best Places to Live in Maine for Young Adults
- South Portland
- Cape Elizabeth
- 12. Biddeford
- 13. Rockland
- 14. Ellsworth
- 15. Kittery
Portland is the largest city in the U.S state of Maine. It is the first on our list of best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Portland is a city with nightlife, shopping and tourism abound.
Renting an apartment in Portland is more affordable than in larger cities.
If you’re renting, the average rate is $1577 per month for nearly 700 square meters of space.
There are different places of interest, which are always explored by tourists in Portland.
Some of the tourist centers are:
1. Eastern Promenade
2. East End Beach
3. Higgins Beach
4. Old Orchard Beach
5. Willard Beach
Portland has public schools with excellent teachers. Portland public schools ranked 20th overall.
It is easy to get a job in Portland. The job market is open and there is increased demand for service workers, contractors, and seasonal employees.
Portland has a waterfront and a food scene, which are all within walking distance.
Portland has the following transport system:
2. Portland International Jetport
3. Concord coach lines
Here are some amazing things young adults can do to spice up their weekends in Portland.
1. Bar crawl around the city.
2. Wander around the old Port
3. Sip a craft brew
4. Take an Island trip
5. Explore the arts district
Portland is a good place to live in Maine, for young adults. It has a serene environment with optimum weather conditions.
South Portland is a city in Cumberland, County Maine.
South Portland is not a part of the city of Portland, but it’s a part of Cape Elizabeth.
South Portland is dubbed as one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults, because of its affordability, community, and city economy.
The average cost of living in South Portland is $2374
South Portland has beautiful beaches and schools, which will be beneficial for young adults who desire to live there.
The public schools in South Portland are above average.
There are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, and parks.
South Portland is also one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults because it offers many quiet neighborhoods.
The city also has a strong commercial center and serene environment, which makes it a convenient place for young adults to live.
Augusta is the capital city of Maine. It is notable for the National Historic Landmark names Ford Western.
The cost of living in Augusta is very affordable with relatively low property taxes making it one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
There are jobs available in Augusta for young adults who desire to live there. Healthcare jobs are also prevalent, also are the jobs in the service industry.
In Augusta, there are trails for mountain biking, walking and snowshoeing, skiing and snowboarding.
In Augusta, people tend to be civic-minded and care about their town.
Augusta has several hospitals, including Maine General which provides extensive medical services.
The houses are affordable.
It has a minimum population and enough accommodation for young adults making it also one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Lewiston is the second largest city in Maine and also one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
It is a growing city full of possibility, vibrant and culturally diverse with a strong sense of community.
There are a lot to enjoy in Lewiston, ranging from the museums, art galleries, community theaters, classical music, multiple places of worship, and restaurants.
These are some of the festivals celebrated in Lewiston, Maine.
1. Liberty festival
2. Emerge film festival
3. Great falls balloon festival
4. Greek Festival
5. World refugee day festival
There are a lot of residential opportunities. Housing is affordable and abundant.
The average cost of living in Lewiston is $1975.
It is an affordable city for young adults to live in.
Auburn is a very clean city, that is community-based and diverse.
The cost of living, utilities, transportation, healthcare, and other services are less expensive in Auburn, making it one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Auburn has a minimum population, thereby making it a choice city to live in.
The average cost of living in Auburn is $1904.
Here are exciting things to do in Auburn:
1. Stroll along the Auburn Riverwalk
2. Explore the spring Road Trail
3. Watch a hockey game at the Norway Savings Bank Area
4. See a play at the community little theatre
5. Ski at the lost valley
6. Hike Mt Apatite
7. Play mini golf at Tablets Golf
8. Get some gifts from Annie’s
9. Go golfing at the fox ridge golf club
10. Visit the museum L-A
Cape Elizabeth is a leafy, genteel town near Portland. It is a place of history and lighthouses, great cycling, and a shoreside park.
Living in Cape Elizabeth offers residents a rural feel and most residents own their homes.
These are interesting places that can be explored by young adults who plan to live in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
1. Fort Williams
2. Crescent Beach State Park
3. Goddard Mansion
4. Portland Head Lighthouse
5. Cape Elizabeth Lighthouse
6. Two lights state park
7. Richmond Island
8. Peak’s Island
9. Sea Fishing
10. Winnick Woods
Cape Elizabeth is one of the cities that is affordable and the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
The average rent for an apartment is $1642
Falmouth, Maine is located just north of Portland on the coast of Maine.
It is a vibrant, independent town that provides most services to its citizens itself.
Attractions in Falmouth include the local harbor and town landing, indoor and outdoor ice skating facilities, shopping, many parks, and recreational facilities, three golf courses, and a medical center.
Fifteen exciting things to do in Falmouth(Maine)
1. Dine at Orchid Thai restaurant
2. Grab breakfast at Bernie’s foreside
3. Relax at Fabu Salon & Day Spa
4. Catch a play at Footlights Theatre
5. Get back to nature at the Gilsland Farm Audubon center.
6. Learn to sail with Capt Lyman Stuart
7. Explore Mackworth Island
8. Visit presumption falls park
9. Peruse the shelves at Falmouth Memorial Library
10. Be enchanted at the Maine State Ballet
11. Marvel at the Falmouth Nature Preserve
12. Visit the Woods Road Heritage Museum
13. Pop into the Portland Museum of Art
14. Climb on the Portland Observatory
15. Visit the Children’s Museum and Theatre of Maine
The average cost of living in Falmouth is $1977. All of these make this city to be one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Yarmouth is a welcoming town, inviting residents and guests to enjoy and explore its diverse array of open spaces.
Fifteen best places to explore in Yarmouth
1. Yarmouth Historic Center
2. Cousins Island
3. Sandy Point Beach
4. Royal River Park
5. Grist Mill park
6. Littlejohn Island Preserve
7. Beth Condom Pathway
8. Spear Farm Estuary Preserve
9. Chebeague Island
10. Pratts Brook Park
11. First Parish Congregational Church
12. Camp Hammond
13. Teddy Brook golf course
14. Westside Trailhead
15. Muddy Rudder Restaurant
The average cost of living in Yarmouth is $1887, and this is quite affordable for young adults. Its affordability makes it one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Waterville is a city located in the Kennebec County of Maine State.
The following are places of interest in Waterville
1. Cobby College Museum of Art
2. Two Cent Bridge
3. Quarry Road Trails
4. Waterville Opera House
5. Waterville Brewing Company
6. Common Street Arts
7. Mainely Escapes
8. Apollo Salon& Spa
9. Paragon Shop
10. Incense & Peppermints
The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Waterville, Maine is $900.
Westbrook is a city located in Cumberland County, Maine.
It has an abundance of local shops, studios, and restaurants and has been known to be one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Here are some of the fascinating things to do in Westbrook
1. Admire life at Smiling Hill farm
2. Stroll along the Westbrook River
3. Have a beer at the Mast Landing Brewing Company
4. Catch a movie at Cinemagic
5. Work out at Maine warrior gym.
6. Have dinner at Jack’s Thai Cuisine
7. Visit the Portland Museum of Art
8. Have dessert at Black Dinah Chocolatiers
9. Wander along the Eastern Promenade
10. Visit the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum
The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Westbrook is $1350
Reviews from residents of Westbrook show that it is a good place to live in.
Westbrook is affordable for young adults to live in.
Belfast is a city in Maine, which has become a significant tourist destination.
Places of interest to visit in Belfast, Maine is:
1. Belfast Harbor walk
2. Passy Rail Trail
3. Belfast City Park
4. United Farmers Market of Maine
5. Lupine Cottage
6. Belfast Historical Society & Museum
7. Parent Gallery
8. Waterfall Arts
9. Belfast curling club
11. Northern Lights Gallery
12. High Street Studio&Gallery
13. Belfast Area Chamber of Commerce
14. Coyote Moon
15. Colonial Theatre
Belfast has rich cultural and historic treasures that young adults can explore.
Biddeford is the principal commercial center of York County, Maine.
Biddeford is not just a fast-growing community but also one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults, especially for people under 30(young adults).
Here are places of interest, that can be explored in Biddeford.
1. Fortune Rocks Beach
2. Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge
3. Old Orchard Beach
4. Sheveneil Park
5. Biddeford and Saco Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center
6. Samo Brendan’s Chapel
7. City Theatre
8. Rotary Park
9. Biddeford Mills Museum
10. Mechanics Park
11. Wood Island Lighthouse
12. Engine Gallery
13. Banded Horn Brewery
14. Round Turn Distilling
15. East Point Sanctuary
The average cost of living in Biddeford is $900.
Rockland is a classic Maine coastal town.
Interesting places in Rockland
1. Farnsworth Art Museum
2. Rockland Breakwater Light
3. Maine Lighthouse Museum
5. Project Puffin Visitor Center
6. Sail Power and Steam Museum
7. Center for Maine Contemporary Art
8. Shop at Jess’s Market
9. Sandy Beach
10. Rockland Harbour Trail
Rockland is a vibrant place for young adults to live.
Ellsworth is a picturesque city in the state of Maine, located on the Union River. It is one of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.
Ellsworth Maine is often called the gateway to the Downeast region and currently serves as its commercial center.
Ellsworth ranks well in a combination of factors and diversity.
Ellsworth has a rural feel, which can be a little slower pace, neighbors you can count on, and being part of a tight-knit community.
In Ellsworth, the overall average housing cost is less expensive.
There is a low poverty rate in Ellsworth because there is an availability of jobs for youths and young adults.
Here are some interesting things to do in Ellsworth, Maine.
1. Visit Woodlawn
2. Watch Timber Tina’s Great Maine Lumberjack Show
3. Visit the Stanwood Homestead Museum and Bird Sanctuary
4. Watch a movie or play at The Grand
5. Visit the Telephone Museum
6. Have a coffee and chop at Rooster Brother Coffee Roaster
7. Take a train on the Downeast Scenic Railroad
8. Shop at Atlantic Art Class
9. Admire the Seven Arts Gallery
10. Shop at the Old Creamery Antique Mall
11. Bowl at Eastward Bowling Lanes
12. Have an amazing time at Wild Acadia Fun Park
13. Escape the room at Rush Hour Gaming
14. Hire a Kayak at Pinniped Kayak
15. Finn’s Irish Pub
A rental apartment in the town cost you from $700 to $2600. A one-bedroom apartment has an average cost of $1287.
Kittery, Maine is a charming historic town with so much to explore.
Interesting places to explore in Kittery:
1. Maine Visitor Information Center
2. Fort McClary State Park
3. Seapoint Beach
4. Kittery Historical & Naval Museum
5. Seafari Charters
6. Badger’s Island
7. Take Flight Adventures
8. Just Us Chickens Gallery
9. Chair Massage Now
10. Yoga East
11. Tributary Brewing
12. Kittery Premium Outlets
13. Kittery Trading Post
14. The Dance Hall
15. Roberts Main Grill
Kittery is one of the best places to live in Maine. Most residents own their houses in Kittery.
The median rent is $853 per month. Kittery is an affordable city for young adults to live in.
Other places that are great to live in are:
All the aforementioned cities are affordable to live in, for young adults. They are therefore some of the best places to live in Maine for young adults.